Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Abandoned Project

After I graduated from Brigham Young University I worked for about 4 months as a 3D artist with a burgeoning animation studio that was opening up in Draper, Utah. By the time I left, one of the CEO's (who was from the Netherlands) was imprisoned for fraud, the studio infrastructure crumbled, art direction from the major client was changing almost daily, and the job I was working on became an absolutely impossible task.  Eventually it got to the point where I was being asked to single-handedly create an entire 8-minute animated short film in near-Pixar quality in a little over a month and a half... in  1080p stereoscopic 3D...  with dozens of unique, rigged, animated characters... and monumental dynamic special effects (like a tsunami destroying a small town).  Obviously this was impossible.  I feel really bad about the whole thing, because the co-CEO was and is a great guy who got stuck in a really bad situation that he wasn't prepared for. Unfortunately I had to bail on him when he needed me most because another great opportunity appeared and I had to think about my family first... it sucked.

Anyway, it's been almost 9 months since the project crashed and burned. I haven't been able to contact the guy in months, and I hope the NDA is null and void, because I'm gonna share some of the work I did here on this blog. I guess I'll find out if I get a cease and desist at some point.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) I had to model, UV map, texture, and rig every asset for this film in about 2 months.
2) I was working on my 13" macbook pro.
3) I was also creating dynamic effects tests.
4) I was also trying to light / render / composite every shot in the film... by myself.
5) All of these factors as well as many others contribute to the fact that most of this looks like crap.






















3 comments:

  1. Hey Shane

    Sorry that this did not work out. I feel bad about saying that they were ok to work for. I had dropped out on them early because I got a better offer. I hope that all is going well for you now and your models are completely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a crazy story! I'm glad you found something more stable. All this stuff is incredibly impressive especially given your time constraints. Favorites: Jeep, trees, and life guard shack.

    Hope things are going well wherever you are now.

    (had to delete my other nearly identical comment because of some spelling errors that me me sound like a fourth grader)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments, guys! It's just frustrating not being able to put out your best work for a project. Yeah, things are a lot better for me now. I have a great-paying and extremely satisfying job doing 3D work and graphic design for a local company. It stretches me artistically which is healthy. I'm also illustrating and doing 3D-environments for Big Fish games on the side as well as some other fun freelance stuff. Life is good!

    Scott, my opinion of you has lessened dramatically due to your egregious spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete